Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day

Growing up, it was usually "just us girls."

My father is a wonderful man who has had an active and caring role in my life no matter what. But after the divorce my sister and I really spent the vast majority of our time with our Mom.

I often describe my mom as a little, blonde ball of sunshine. She is the sweetest, most caring and adorable woman I've ever met. She held us when we cried, cheered for our successes and taught us to be strong, independent women.

This is the woman that would rent old musicals and sit with me on the couch as we watched Gene Kelly dance across the screen. This is the woman who told me I could do anything I put my mind to so long as I applied myself. This is the woman who drove out to my apartment in the middle of the night to hold me and tell me it was going to be okay when I had an absolute melt down after breaking up with my boyfriend of six years. Even though I was 26 years old at  the time.

When my sister and I would fight she wouldn't take sides. When we got along she found ways to bring us closer together. She made sure we had the chance to travel. She made sure we appreciated the world around us at home. My mom took me to Balboa Park for the first time and when I fell in love with the place she kept driving me out there.

My mother is a strong enough woman to be strict when she needed to be. She made sacrifices to make sure that her two girls never went hungry or went to the first day of school without new shoes. She continues to keep watch over us and make sure we're taken care of even though we are edging towards 28 and 30.

She is the strongest, bravest, most creative and wonderful person I know. I am so lucky to have her.

Happy Mother's Day, Momma!

I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment