Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kwirk Confessions | Maybe I'll Just Check on that One More Time...

When I put my mind to something I throw all my effort into getting it done.

Said in that way, it almost sounds positive. What it really is, is obsessive behavior. There have been times in my life that I've decided that I want to do something and by jingo it's going to get done! And I'm going to be the best at it. And it's going to be a breeze! 

And by the peak of my obsessive cycle I'm run ragged from trying so hard, emotionally fragile from waiting for the fruits of my labor to ripen and should probably be pried away from my computer to spend time with "Real" people. 

I've been wanting to start a design business of my own for years. But I've always put it off for one reason or another. But recently dear old Sallie Mae (or as I like to call her The Cruel Mistress of Student Loans) has been knocking on my door. Doesn't she understand that I'm a starving artist? I'm a single woman on the far edge of my twenties living alone in a tiny studio apartment in a not very nice area. Money is just a tad on the tightish side, okay? 

Not wanting to have to spend the rest of my life dodging the lovely student loans people, I decided to toss my hat in the ring and see what happens. It has now officially been a week that my Etsy shop has been open. I've been putting all of my marketing knowledge to use: solid branding, good virtual merchandizing, using social media to network and boost my reputation as a "serious designer"... (Please imagine me saying that with my chin up, striking a superhero type pose.) I even know that I can't expect for there to be any profit or to even any guaranteed sales for the first few months. 

And yet...

Every time I post a new item on etsy I rush over to craftcult.com to watch if people are viewing my items.

"Has it gotten a favorite yet?"

"No views?! But it's been a whole five minutes! Look, damn you!"

"Why doesn't anyone like that piece? I like that piece. Don't you like me??"

And it's not just craftcult. It's twitter. It's google analytics. It's even my blog.

Tonight, late, when I should be sleeping, I'm going to pull open my laptop and watch as the numbers slowly tick by.

One day I'll look back and laugh at all of this. But right now it's been a whole ten minutes since I last checked craftcult. 

Obsessively - Nic 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nicole, I found you through Etsy and I have to laugh because I check my shop more than I want to admit. I had a very normal life until I got this urge to sell my needlefelting and I now I have even started a blog. Anyway I've enjoyed your advise and encouragement. Thanks, Kris

    Oh and any feedback would be great. kriskeese.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete